Saturday 13 April 2013

Alexander Keith's: Cascade Hop Ale

     Ok whats the big deal here Mr. Spilly Talker?  Alexander Keith's Brewery has come out of nowhere with two brand new and under the radar Ales called Hops Series.  I was excited to find these guys stocked in the feature section at the LCBO last night while on my journey to fill my beer fridge.  Good ol' Keiths has been a staple of mine for many years now and I've even enjoyed their adventures into Red Amber Ale and Premium White alike.  Its nice to see them try something a little different with these two Hops specialty series beers as it does sometimes seem that this brewery has conformed to the norm by putting out products that appear to compete directly with Rickards.  Yeah I went there.


     What does Cascade Hop Ale have to offer?  I've brewed a few beers at home using Cascade hops so I'm quite familiar with the taste and aroma that it brings to the table.  If used correctly it can make for one pleasurably spicy and floral hop experience.  This Hops series ale starts off with a playfully fresh and spicy aroma.  Good so far.  Its colour is a transparent rusty copper gold with a mild foamy head.

     Upon first taste, I realized that this beer was still an Alexander Keith's IPA.  It hit me RIGHT away.  Its not as daring and in your face as I was expecting to find.  It honestly tastes exactly like what an Alexander Keith's IPA should actually taste like if it were more of an IPA.  *Add bitterness!*

     On a side note, if you haven't really explored the REAL world of IPA's, Keith's IPA is basically the most commercially viable version of the genre.  Its decent and gets the job done, but its not a very bold example of the beer style.  I could say that I drive a Tiberon and its a sports car, but its not like its a Ferarri.  Its lightly mild bitterness is a watered down specimen but easy on the palette.  When it comes to a true IPA, bitterness is king.

     Anyways, this ale is refreshing and its different enough to get my attention.  It still has the signature Keith's taste but its more refined and gingerly tip toes the line of big brewery and true craft attitude.  I really felt that this beer was my regular Keiths India Pale ale but with Cascade hops substituted for whatever hop blend that they normally utilize in the recipe.

     I expected more from this beer but then again I've unwillingly become a beer snob.  If I were on the outside looking in, this beer would be the one that makes me think that there are more interesting beers out there then all the Molson and Coors garbage. This beer would likely be the one that really twists my arm into exploring true craft beers.

     I like you Alexander Keith's, but you can be more daring then this.  Good effort and thanks for trying something new.  I enjoyed your Cascade Hops Ale and its worth a grade of C- in my book.  Remember that part in the movie Blow where Johnny Depp is in jail and he meets that guy who introduces him to the "wonders of cocaine?"  Well this is the Keiths brewery equivalent of having the right dream but with the wrong product.


Check out more from Keith's Hops Series here

Support Your Local Brewery!



No comments:

Post a Comment