Monday 9 June 2014

Sixpoint Craft Ale: Sweet Action



Another airport, another flight home, another farewell for now, to Scotland.  When I lived here many years ago, I found great meal deals at a restaurant chain called Werherspoon.  It's an interesting place.  You order everything at the bar and your food gets dropped off at your tables.  No waitresses checking in on you, no music ambiance, just cash and carry pub grub. It's a great place for the student on a budget.   

This time around, I was delightfully surprised to find somewhat of a craft beer revival at Wetherspoons.  They have signs all over the place advertising both Scottish and international (only American) craft beers.  It was pretty cool.  They even left a craft beer guide on the table so anybody could learn about beers that aren't just English bitters and the standard Budweiser offerings.  This little guide (pictured below) led me to the discover 3 beers by Sixpoint Brewery based out of Brooklyn New York.  I tried my luck and grabbed a can of their "Sweet Action" for a test drive.  How can you say no to a beer with a name like that?


Sweet Action is a pale ale and wheat hybrid beer.  The first one that I can recall ever trying.  Its aroma is very pungent and piney.  It's orange body is semi translucent and cloudy, likely from the wheat in the beer.  Amazingly, this pseudo pale ale wheat hybrid is very balanced.  Standing at the crossroads of two beer styles, it finds a way to fully represent it's two halves equally.  It goes tasty with the hops with a bitterness that I'm guessing comes in around 40-50 ibu's.  This particular beer serves as a reminder of how some of my favourite beers of this Scottish vacation, were actually imported from the united states.  

I'm a fan of you "Sweet Action" and I'm glad that Wetherspoons is making an effort to expand the craft beer scene in Bonnie ol' Scotland.  You deserve a B+ for your hybrid ways and I hope we meet again soon.  

Learn more about sixpoint craft ales at www.sixpoint.com

Support your local brewery!


Chris 

No comments:

Post a Comment