Tuesday 14 May 2013

Kensington Brewery: Augusta Ale

Tonight I'm watching hockey.

Its game 7, anxiety is high and The Toronto Maple Leafs are deep in a clinch battle with the Boston Bruins.  I take my dog for a quick walk, pick up 3 beers and a pizza, and I'm set for the game.  Luckily, my local LCBO has got tall boys of Kensington Brewery's Augusta Ale right near the cash. I make a quick purchase and then escape back to my couch.

I've got a SUPER soft spot for this young brewery.  I used to live just north of Kensington and I spent a ton of time in the market.  Places like Patty King, Big Fat Burrito, Freshmart, Kos, and Oishi Kada were just a few of my regulars.  Kensington Market has a special place in my heart; I even played a few shows on the streets of Kensington with my good friend @locnesbeats during Pedestrian Sundays.  For those who don't know, Kensington Market is the last of a dying breed of independent small business neighbourhoods in Toronto.  There's a unique kind of autonomous vibe and culture that could only belong to a place like Kensington.  I expect nothing less then these core values from the Kensington Brewing Company.

Let's talk about Augusta Ale.  Aptly named after Augusta Avenue (a road that is the backbone of Kensington Market) this Pale Ale is the first beer I've tried from The Kensington Brewery.  It pours a rusty golden copper hue with a subtle head.  It has an inviting aroma of mellow notes of spice and grassy hints.

This hybrid Ale is a delicious blend with layers of grassy tones and nutty inklings.  It has a medium bitterness, I'm guessing around 30 ibu's, which is enough to keep the hop head in me interested without  overpowering me with bitterness.  Its a tastefully done Ale with a unique and flavourful palette.  This is a great beer.  This Ale is different and it offers something that is both unconventional and familiar at the same time.

My first adventure into the beers of The Kensington Brewery is a success.  Augusta Ale is a hit in my books, I'll rate it a B+ (78) for its favourable combination of style and select choice of bittering hops. I'm interested in learning more about these guys and what the future of this young brewery has to offer.  There's also an extra hopped version of Augusta Ale that I'd like to get to know as well!  Let me see if I can hunt down their Watermelon Wheat beer for my next review.



Support Your Local Brewery!


Learn more about the Kensington Brewing Company at http://www.kensingtonbrewingcompany.com/the-beer/







No comments:

Post a Comment