Tuesday 19 November 2013

Grapefruit Peel IPA

From my HomeBrew kitchen comes my latest experiment; Grapefruit Peel IPA.  I cooked up this batch in early October using a pretty straight forward recipe with as few ingredients as possible. It's aroma is forward and friendly with grapefruit leading the way.  I've honestly never used grapefruit peel in a beer before so I'm quite happy with the results it contributes to the smell.  I dry hopped it as well so it's difficult to tell how much aroma is hops and how much is peel. 


Grapefruit Peel IPA
The head is frothy with a ton of retention that chases this beer down to the bottom of the glass.  I added a small amount of rye to the grain bill (0.4oz) to help with the head and give it a little spice.  
The body is nice and spicy but not quite as hoppy as I had hoped it would be. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 35-40 IBUs which falls drastically short of the 60-80 range that I was hoping for.


  I'm still trying to figure this out so I compared hop additions to IPA style beer recipes I found online.  
It's got a nice biscuity body from the Vienna malt, its translucent in clarity with a warm orange colour.  It's refreshing with a bit of spice and lots of citrus wallop.  
The recipe is below if you want to give it a shot or help me modify it to make it even better.  It's a decent beer and I'll give it a C (61) for effort.   

Grapefruit Peel IPA 
1 Gallon Batch

1.3 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb 2-Row Malt
.4 oz Rye Malt

.5oz Cascade @ 60 min
.25oz Cascade @ 15 min
.25oz Hallertau dry hop in secondary

1/2 Peel of Grapefruit in secondary
1/2 Packet of Safale US-05 yeast

10 days primary fermentation
10 days secondary fermentation
7 days bottled at room temp
14 days botte in the fridge 

No comments:

Post a Comment