Friday 18 January 2013

Hogtown Brewers Kolsch Lager

I've heard the odd mention of Toronto based Hogtown Brewers from time to time. Until today's lunch excursion, I had yet to find a spot that has either of their fabled brews on tap. In my quest for a cheap meal during a day of errands, I was lured into The Banknote (Bathurst & King) by the promise of a $5 lunch. The food was great but we're here to talk Beer.

One thing that always bugs me is when my beer is served in the wrong glass. This typically happens when it's craft brew beer at a non craft brew type bar. Hats off to you Banknote. Hogtown's flagship "Kolsch style Lager" is a pleasant surprise. It's a pale style lager with a dry aftertaste and very light hoppy finish. I'm honestly not a huge fan of lagers (I'm in my IPA period for the moment) because they mostly have a very limited range of variance.

Kolsch does stand out to me as a lager with a good sense of character and uniqueness. I would definitely recommend giving this local lager a try. It went great with my burger and offers something a little different to the steam whistles and Mill Streets of the Toronto scene. Help the little guy out, his logo even has a pig branded with "I ❤ T.O" on his butt. Gotta love local pride. I give it a solid B+.

Check out Hogtown Brewers at hogtownbrewers.ca



No comments:

Post a Comment