Saturday 16 March 2013

Wellington Arkell Best Bitter

     When it comes to Guelph Ontario's own Wellington Brewery, I must say that I am a fan of what I've tried of their beers thus far.  They really embody the true spirit of Canadian craft brewing.  I consider this beer to be a bit of an odd one if you've never tried what Wellington has to offer.  By this, I mean, Wellington's Arkell is probably not the beer that they're best known for.  When I think of Wellington; SPA, Country Ale & Imperial Stout are the beers that really come to mind.  The aforementioned beers also happen to be of the variety that I tend to find when I get my "welly on" at most of the bars that I frequent.

     So what is there to say about Arkell?  I've honestly never tried this beer before so I really have no idea what to expect.  It has a pleasant and mild malty aroma reminiscent of traditional english ales.  This amber ale has an expected dry bitterness and light mannered zest.  Its very balanced and everything seems to be in just the right place on the palette.  As a balanced beer, its about as neutral as you could ask for with regards to no flavours overpowering or standing out from the pack.

     This is not a superhero beer to me and I doubt that it will make future appearances in my beer rotation.  Not because its a bad beer, but more because it doesn't offer the uniqueness that I tend to look for in a pint.  Great amber ale, definitely a C ranking in my books: worth a try but not my favourite work from Wellington Brewery.  If you are going to get your welly on, try the SPA, its my top choice of Wellington beers.

     Check out more great beers by Wellington Brewery at www.wellingtonbrewery.ca.  If you're a fan of amber ales, be sure to give Amsterdam Brewery's Big Wheel a shot.  I would rank it as a better amber ale then this one.

Support your local brewery!


No comments:

Post a Comment